Sunday, March 04, 2007

I dare the sun to shine tomorrow

Ode to Sadness by Pablo Neruda

Sadness, scarab
with seven crippled feet,
spiderweb egg,
scramble-brained rat,
bitch's skeleton:
No entry here.
Don't come in.
Go away.
Go back
south with your umbrella,
go back
north with your serpent's teeth.
A poet lives here.
No sadness may
cross this threshold.
Through these windows
comes the breath of the world,
fresh red roses,
flags embroidered with
the victories of the people.
No.
No entry.
Flap
your bat's wings,
I will trample the feathers
that fall from your mantle,
I will sweep the bits and pieces
of your carcass to
the four corners of the wind,
I will wring your neck,
I will stitch your eyelids shut,
I will sew your shroud,
sadness, and bury your rodent bones
beneath the springtime of an apple tree.

But I am not sad. I really want to read "I Am a Strange Loop". I like my haircut. I swear to God, I am sick of being cold. I HATE IT!!! But I'm in luck, because spring approacheth. There's a new bakery on University from which I got walnut bread and it is good. The bakery and the walnut bread both. Has anyone ever used an exercise ball, those big ones people sit on and stretch out on? I used one for the first time yesterday and I think a large part of the week will be spent in recovery. Wild!

7 comments:

amyegodfrey said...

Where did you find the poem? I am going to send it to someone who needs it. With the big ball, are you saying you'll never use it again? Do you recommend it?

Neil and Diana said...

I found the poem online when I googled Pablo Neruda; specifically at http://www.public.asu.edu/~nielle/neruda.htm. The exercise ball rocked my world. I'm going to go back to Bally's for more as soon as I recover!

abby said...

I love Pablo Neruda. Let's see a picture of the haircut!

Emily said...

Yes, please. Your haircut.

Anonymous said...

WHO is pablo Neruda? And how do you know about him?

Neil and Diana said...

20th-century Chilean poet. I will try to take a haircut pic later if I can find the camera (which I think is in the car).

Emily said...

Sarah, the movie Il Postino is about him, kind of. You should netflix it, it's good.