Wednesday, August 01, 2007

blink

I just started working part-time at a SNF (skilled-nursing facility, AKA nursing home; pronounced "sniff"). It is very, very amusing.

Neil (of the famous grilled cheese) is still mending from Friday's oral surgery. We are hoping that his pain lifts today, since the doctor gave him a new medicine yesterday. (Is it "topical" if it's in the mouth? Probably not. But "oral" suggests swallowing ... "gummal?" Further research obviously is needed.)

I feel apprehensive and excited about school starting in 19 days. And mostly apprehensive about whether or not I'm going to get a campus parking permit. Neil has 4 job applications pending on campus, all of which look promising.

Yesterday I was thinking about how I probably will never think about this moment again, and therefore why not spend it doing something nice and worthwhile? I spend countless minutes each day thinking about time and money and scheduling (e.g., "When I get paid for this in two weeks, should I put the money into savings or pay some bills in advance ... or both ...?"), and it's ostensibly to help myself in the future when I need to actually make those decisions (e.g., when I get paid). But give me a break, how long does it take to transfer money upon getting paid, it's not like I need to formulate a 5-step plan 100 times over in advance. And further, it's not like I'll get paid and reflect back positively upon the countless minutes spent in "busy work." So. Right now is it. It is here and will never be again. Ever. Let's see how long I can carry that through the day!

Interesting: Who's minding the mind?

Eye candy (on paper): blueprint

5 comments:

Emily said...

I hope N's mouth feels better, and that he gets a good job.
That was an intersting, and sort of frightening, NYT article. Thanks.

Emily said...

Also, why not plan ahead what to do with the money, then not worry about it? My unsolicited advice: save money first, to use in case of emergency, then pay extra on bills.

Neil and Diana said...

Good advice. The point is, it takes 2 minutes to plan ahead what to do with the money, not 2 minutes 20 times over. Dear N is going back to the oral surgeon tomorrow to seek remedy for his persistent pain. I am hopeful.

Sarah said...

I hope N feels better too. Mouth pain is the worst!

Interesting article. Makes me wonder if I should burn Gold Canyon "clean sheets" candles so my kids might feel like making their beds, etc.

Loving Blueprint.

Neil and Diana said...

It's worth a try! Blueprint reminds me of you and Emily. I like it better than Real Simple, which kind of seemed like an expanded advertisement.