Tuesday, October 23, 2007

I have to vacuum today, for sure

I just woke up after dreaming of people falling down the stairs, so this NYT article was of especial interest. An excerpt: It is likely during REM, some scientists argue, that the brain proceeds to mix, match and juggle the memory traces it has preserved, looking for hidden connections that help make sense of the world. Life experience is cut up and reordered, sifted and shuffled again. This process could account for the cockeyed, disjointed scenes that occur during dreams: the kaleidoscope of distilled experience is being turned.

Of note in these here parts: Yesterday was really windy. This week the Computer Science Dept. is looking at applications for its office assistant job, of which there are 30+. I had a French midterm yesterday (lundi) and have a csc midterm Friday and a calculus test next week. School is in week 10! But I don't feel exactly employable as a computer scientist. I know I have had only .67 csc classes, but I hope at some point in this program I feel remotely competent.

Neil pointed out that our VHS copy of The Graduate was released in 1985 and bears a recommended retail price of 59.95!!! Does anyone else remember this '80s exorbitance?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with the article's statement that it is ludicrous to get people, especially teens, up at 5 a.m. The morning sleep is the best. I love to sleep in, slightly.

Emily said...

I remember when movies were really, really expensive. Who spent 59.95 on The Graduate?

Good luck to Neil on the job front!

abby said...

I have been remembering my dreams every morning lately, and I really don't like it.

Neil and Diana said...

I would like to dream about exotic islands.