Thursday, October 27, 2005

Intelligence design

What are thoughts? Like, when I see Neil and recognize him, different parts of my brain are talking to each other, but where IS Neil in my brain? Do I have an image stored, like in jpeg? Or is it the neurological pattern itself that represents him, like a particular code? Like plotting points and movement on a map, sort of like bits/bytes (except I don't think there's any direction with those)? And memory -- I know how it's manifested, but what IS it in my brain?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I see red and you see red, are we seeing the same...oh, nevermind. I believe in intelligent design--particularly: Philip Johnson, Paul Klee, Miuccia Prada.

Unknown said...

Images seem easiest to tackle. What I think they are is both of what you said - the PATTERN in your brain that stays in your memory and is coded to project some sort of PICTURE in the back of your eyes. I think the brain really works like a machine in that regard.
But thoughts in general I've struggled with - what are they and when you think them are you thinking in English, decoding your ideas into actual words you read to yourself? And if/when you are, that only counts for pretty conscious thoughts. Then there are those you have before you realize you have them. Like passing judgement and such. Other thoughts on thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, images and patterns and decoding and memory can be discussed in a medical classroom. Thoughts might not be explainable because man's intelligence is in his spirit and not in his physiology.

Anonymous said...

I don't know a lot about brain science, but my basic understanding is that memory is like a burning-in of the neural pathways. Okay, I'm already over my head. From what I gather from the good people at wikipedia.org, there are lots of different kinds of memory, and they live in different places in your calabash. I'm sorry I can't be more help on this. Ask me about pixels!