Sunday, October 16, 2011

Now

My thoughts of late have included, in no particular order: #1. Boyz II Men

#2. Everything I want is here. Now. I love the words here and now. They are sort of magical. Like, there is here and then there is here here. and so on, all the way to ... my heart? Or where I'm at (as opposed to where I am)? That's cool, because where I'm at may not be where I am. Therefore, the concept of here is simple, yet elusive. Which brings me to another thought:

#3. Last week I realized that I love things that are simultaneously simple and awesome. Like The Beatles. And here. I don't love things that are embellished, unless they are also simple and awesome, because then you can just clear away the razzmatazz. Things that are not simple but are awesome are OK, but things that are not simple and not awesome are largely annoying.

#4. Sometime in my 20s I started to feel a vague kinship with everyone I went to high school with, even people with whom I'd barely been acquainted. All our lives had been touched by Melba Vallas in one way or another. Then, after living in Tucson awhile, I started to feel like anyone who'd ever lived in the greater Phx area was, by association, my friend. Remember when Piestewa became Piestewa? Exactly. Then, particularly after I had been living in Charlotte a few months, I began to recognize everyone who had lived in the southwestern part of the U.S. as my soulmate. You're from California? Awesome, 60 degrees is cold! And now, after associating mainly with people who are 12 years younger than I for the last 5 years or so, I feel intimately involved with anyone between the ages of 28 and 45. "Ow! My nose!" "Gee, Beav!" "Can you hear me now?""I'm dope on the floor and I'm magic on the mic ..." I could go on.

#5. I wish I could see Paul McCartney and Paul Simon in concert. It wouldn't have to be at the same time. I also would like to see the Rolling Stones.

#6. I wish my stomach wouldn't hurt. This afternoon I went to yoga and felt great for the whole hour. I will try to go every day from now on. I love yoga. When I do it every day it opens parts of me so that I can see things that I didn't know were there. Like #2; I think if I want something that I don't have, I merely have to radically adjust my vision, and then I have it. Completely.

OK bye.

4 comments:

abby said...

a blog post! a blog post! it has brightened my night, especially, "All our lives had been touched by Melba Vallas in one way or another." and that fact that eliza is in close contact with one of the Boyz. i would also love for you to teach me how to radically adjust my vision on a few things.

Eliza said...

your posting is inspiring me perhaps to resurrect tres tres bon, which went on hiatus while i was filming "the sing-off." i like these observations/realizations and am proud to be classified in many of your "kinship" groups. i have seen paul simon in concert and wish you would have been there. maybe we can shoot for mccartney together. also shawn colvin would be fab. i miss u. (but i see u soon!)

Sarah said...

always love your blog updates! the Melba Vallas connection is a good one.

amyegodfrey said...

Melba Vallas, indeed!
I, too, recognize the joys of simplicity.
One of my simple joys is clicking on family blogs, which I do every day, and seeing that new ones have been posted!