Sunday, April 04, 2010

la vida loca

"In the midst of life we are in death, et cetera"

Last night I went out with friends it was fun.

In text messages I write in this telegraphic way and I noticed it's leaked into my emails. ... How will the next generation of children be composing letters I wonder?

Remember letters? Remember when mail used to come on Saturday? Wait, I am ahead of myself. Remember when we were thirtysomething ... I remember when I was 16 or 17 I would listen to songs like, "These are the days ..." or "Look at me, proud of being 17 ...", and I'd think, "Yeah, I am so in it, I am so there, so 16 and-a-half and loving it and it is really great and don't forget it because I feel really great."

Remember when we didn't know Ricky Martin was gay?

My friend and I were discussing last week how tired the observer-of-life trope is. Particularly in music lyrics. You know, like, everybody else is in it except me I am detached can I have some more gin please.

Bo-ring. Unless maybe if it's ironic.

I think, specifically, we were thinking of Jackson Browne, who is not really ironic.

But I like "Running on Empty."

I wonder if that show Thirtysomething would be any good today.

Today I read something about the Discovery Channel's Planet Earth and Life shows. I never watch the Discovery Channel but they look so cool I can see myself quieting down in this alternate universe and putting them on. Happy Easter.

4 comments:

Eliza said...

i wish i had watched thirtysomething. also i like your use of color.

abby said...

i watched thirtysomething when i was eightsomething. and i love the discovery channel.

geritebo said...

I like your use of color and your point of view and the mother/daughter photo.

Sarah said...

I watched thirty-something and liked it. I must have been twenty-something if abby was 8.

Planet Earth and Life: both great! Do you prefer a British male narrator, or a female talk-show billionaire narrator? Otherwise, it's the same amazing footage. We record Life every week.